Imagine your children learning a second language during their elementary school years, giving them the advantage of being bilingual by the time they graduate.
The purpose of the program is to teach children to be bilingual in English and Spanish. Some important facts about this program:
- Students learn through being immersed in each language. Through this program students encourage and teach each other, and eventually all become bilingual.
- Discovery Elementary School is a 2-way model in which half of the class is made up of native speakers of English and the other half is made up of native speakers of Spanish.
- Students are taught the curriculum 50% of the time in English and 50% of the time in Spanish by native speaker of each language whenever possible.
- The homework should be a review of what was taught in class, therefore something that your child is familiar with. When everything is translated, children begin to rely on the translation rather than learning through context. Please do not expect homework to be translated beyond directions.
- A few of the benefits of dual immersion are:
- Students become proficient in two languages.
- Spanish-speaking students actually learn English more quickly than those in English-only classes.
- Students learn and appreciate different cultures.
If you have any questions or would like to know more, feel free to contact us in the main office or at 435-781-3146.
If you wish your student to participate in the Dual Immersion Program at Discovery Elementary, please fill out the application and parent commitment form. Please return the commitment form to the school office.
For more information on the Utah Spanish Dual Immersion Program
Starting February 1, 2017 @ 8:00 am.
To apply, we need to have the Application and Commitment forms delivered to the School.
Click here for the Online Application Form
Resources for parents to help their child:
Oh Noah! from PBS
Uses more English than the other sites, but teaches beginners Spanish through games and videos.
PurposeGames – Spanish
Play educational games created by members–or easily create your own!